Saturday, November 12, 2011

Garlic, bread and butter


In April I planted tiny slivers of garlic in to the vegetable patch and have waited patiently ever since, eagerly anticipating plump bulbs to be used generously in almost every savoury dish that I cook.



Last Sunday was harvest day and I was not disappointed.  To celebrate our little crop I made this magnificent garlic bread…you must try it!

Garlic and parmesan bread - recipe adapted from Seasons, by Donna Hay

1 loaf sourdough bread
125g butter
2 cloves garlic, crushed
sea salt and cracked black pepper
½ cup (40g) finely grated parmesan
1 tablespoon chopped basil leaves

Preheat the oven to 200°C (390°F).  Use a sharp serrated knife to slice the bread into 1cm-wide pieces, ensuring you don’t cut all the way through the loaf.  Place butter, garlic, salt and pepper in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until the butter is melted.  Add the parmesan and basil and stir to combine.  Carefully separate the bread slices and brush the insides with the garlic butter mixture.  Wrap the loaf with foil and place on a baking tray.  Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden.  Serves 6.




5 comments:

  1. Now I am hungry - that looks delish. I hope Mum and Dad's garlic is already when I get home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love garlic bread! I bet you made the sourdough loaf too didn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls...yes Miss Piggy home-made sourdough...where will it end?

    ReplyDelete
  4. *salivating*
    yum! I wish we could harvest our bulbs now - we've still got at least a month and a half to wait!

    xx Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Home-grown garlic, how exciting! I look forward to seeing what other marvellous veggies you harvest. Loving the blog so far:)

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome. I will try to reply to all comments eventually because I love the conversation! Jane