Sunday, January 22, 2012

Letting go of sourdough

As some of you may know I have spent the last two years baking a weekly batch of sourdough bread for my friend Terese at Thom, Dick and Harry's in Broken Hill.




When I started experimenting with bread Terese was generous enough to make some space on her beautiful shop counter for my loaves and has continued to patiently support my venture ever since.  Over this time I have worked on my technique, accumulated some better equipment and learnt many things along the way about baking, small business and everything in between.

My weeks to some extent have revolved around the bread.  Each week begins with activating the starters then on to chopping olives and fruit, mixing, folding, dividing, shaping, proving, scoring, baking, cooling, packing and delivering.

2012 is the start of my daughter, Annabelle’s home schooling through School of the Air and I will be teaching her.  After much reflection I have decided my regular bread bake is going to be too much of a commitment.

So for now I am letting go of something I love and rely on as part of my weekly routine.  I will continue to keep my sourdough starters alive and plan to bake regularly for ourselves and for some one-off events when I can.  One little chapter of life is going on hold…another big chapter is about to begin! 


OK, so everyone is doing the Saltwater sandal photo...but I still love this mother and daughter shot!








12 comments:

  1. A sad moment Jane, but another exciting time is about to start! Good luck on your SOTA journey! And I love the matching sandals, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I remember you coming into the bookstore when you were pregnant with Annabelle...can't believe she's now starting school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those loaves look beautiful! I love the olive leaves and the string - a very nice touch. Good luck to you and Annabelle! It sounds like a fun adventure learning together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane, that bread looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bread looks divine!!! I love the string and olive leaf wrapping - super cute..

    Good luck with SOTA. I too and schooling my daughter from the farm this year (through DE instead though as our base is Dubbo, not Broken Hill, so this program seemed to work better for us) and am worried that the work load may be a bit much for me to keep my shop going in town. I have reduced my days down to 2 a week and will see how that goes. One can only be stretched so many ways - right!!! LOL!!!

    Jodie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks girls for your kind comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah SOTA Jane, i dont think im ready! Im glad a get a few weeks 'grace' though being in town, but not sure how bringing a new little person home and teaching 2 this year will go...i guess we will get there! Good luck. May see you at HTC? Im hoping to get up for the first day, if i dont Ben and the kids will be up there (his first ever important job as dad!) Pretty sure he is terrified about the idea of stepping back into the SOTA school yard ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Kylie, I am trying to embrace the change! It is big for everyone :)

      Delete
    2. I LOVE OLIVE SOURDOUGH! AND SALTWATER SANDALS. your blog is making me hungry!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful beautiful loaves, Jane! But how wonderful that you're now just going to bake for your family AND spend lots of time teaching your daughter! That sounds like a wonderful change.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Celia, that means a lot from a fellow baker! Also, you have a lovely way of putting things into perspective :)

      Delete

Hello and welcome. I will try to reply to all comments eventually because I love the conversation! Jane